The Literary Review has released the shortlist for the twentieth annual Bad Sex in Fiction Award. The nominees for achievement in terrible sex writing include:
- The Yips, by Nicola Barker
- The Adventuress, by Nicholas Coleridge
- Infrared, by Nancy Huston
- Rare Earth, by Paul Mason
- Noughties, by Ben Masters
- The Quiddity of Will Self, by Sam Mills
- The Divine Comedy, by Craig Raine
- Back to Blood, by Tom Wolfe
Mr. Wolfe, you will recall, is a previous winner, having taken top honors in 2004 for I Am Charlotte Simmons. He was deemed eligible for this year’s awards by dint of passages like the following:
But then the tips of her breasts became erect on their own, and the flood in her loins washed morals, despair, and all other abstract assessments away in a cloud of some sort of divine cologne of his. Now his big generative jockey was inside her pelvic saddle, riding, riding, riding, and she was eagerly swallowing it swallowing it swallowing it with the saddle’s own lips and maw—all without a word.
And for a glimpse into the judging process, check this video out.